This winter we have experienced our fair share of colds and sinus troubles. There have been a few times where we needed vapor rub to offer some relief but we didn’t have any so I decided to make my own with supplies I already had at home.
What you need:
- 2-3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 15 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil
- 5 drops tea tree essential oil
- Optional – Additional essential oils as desired for fragrance (Lavender is my go-to multi-purpose oil that goes in almost every blend I make. Lemon oil would be a great addition as well.)
What to do:
Since coconut oil is solid at room temperature I thought it would be easier to mix in the essential oils if I melted the coconut oil. You can do this by measuring the coconut oil into a microwave safe container (which is what I am using to store it in) and heat in 15 second increments until melted. If you aren’t into microwaving you could also easily melt in a small pot.
Add essential oil(s) and stir.
Let the mixture come to room temperature (and solidify).
Apply to chest (I also like applying to soles of feet), as needed. Or use in a glass container on a candle warmer.
Words of caution:
- Eucalyptus oil should always be diluted before applying to the skin.
- Eucalyptus oil should not be consumed without the supervision of a physician. Consuming 3.5 ml of undiluted eucalyptus oil can be fatal.
- If you plan to use this vapor rub on children (especially those under 2 years old) you will want to swap the eucalyptus oil for rosemary oil since eucalyptus is not considered safe for young children.
- Use caution with essential oils when pregnant.