July is National UV Safety Month!
Healing Touch Charlotte is participating in UV (ultraviolet) safety awareness by sharing tips on UV Safety throughout July.
According to the American Cancer Society:
“Exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation is a major risk factor for most skin cancers. Sunlight is the main source of UV rays [Both UVA and UVB rays can damage skin and cause skin cancer.]… People who get a lot of UV exposure from these sources are at greater risk for skin cancer.”
This week’s tip is: COVER UP
You can protect yourself from UV ray damage by covering up:
- Stand or sit under permanent cover – Protect your skin by avoiding direct sunlight – stay in the shade if possible.
- Wear your cover as fabric – wear lightweight fabrics that cover your arms and legs
- Wear your cover as lotion – apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen
Timing is a form of cover – choose when you go into the sunlight.
- The sun’s rays are most intense between 10-4
- If you can avoid direct expose during this time, you can prevent sun damage.
And remember, not only is July UV Safety Month – it’s also National Ice Cream Month! So enjoy a treat while protecting you eyes!