I have a “muffin” recipe that I have been loving lately and thought it would be something fun to share. I tried them at a dinner party and they have been a go to snack/dessert ever since!
- 1 cooked sweet potato
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup shredded (unsweetened) coconut
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- Roast sweet potato. I usually wrap mine in foil and bake at 400 degrees until fork tender.
- Remove skin from sweet potato, place sweet potato in a bowl, and put to the side. I find this recipe works best if the sweet potato is completely cooled before I start mixing in the other ingredients, otherwise it melts the chocolate chips.
- Preheat or reduce heat on over to 375 degrees.
- Peel a ripe banana and place banana with sweet potato.
- Combine sweet potato and banana. I find that mashing them together with a fork or potato masher works well.
- Mix in remaining ingredients and combine.
- Spoon mixture into greased muffin pan. I prefer using a mini muffin pan for this recipe.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes.
Once you get the hang of this recipe you can really do a lot with it. You can change up the spices and flavorings to anything you like. Some ideas are:
- Oatmeal Raisin – remove chocolate chips, add raisins
- Carrot cake – remove chocolate chips, add walnuts and shredded carrot.
You can also add honey to taste, protein powder or chia seeds for an added punch.