Meditation is often used as a term for the many ways to achieve a relaxed state of being. There are many types of meditation and relaxation techniques that all share the same goal of achieving inner peace.
These types of meditation and relaxation techniques can include:
- Guided meditation – Also known as visualization or guided imagery, you imagine/visualize places or situations you find relaxing using as many senses as possible, such as smells, sights, sounds and textures.
- Mantra meditation – As discussed in previous posts, in this type of meditation you silently repeat a calming word, thought or phrase to prevent distracting thoughts. I personally like to meditate on Bible verses or poems that are special to me.
- Qi gong – Qi gong (CHEE-gung) is part of traditional Chinese medicine that usually combines meditation, relaxation, physical movement and breathing exercises to restore and maintain balance.
- Tai chi – In tai chi (TIE-chee), a form of gentle Chinese martial arts, you perform a self-paced series of postures/movements in a slow, graceful manner while practicing deep breathing.
- Yoga – My fave! You perform a series of postures and controlled breathing exercises to promote flexibility in your body and a calm mind. Moving through poses requires balance and concentration, encouraging you to focus less on your busy day and more on the moment, your movement, and your breath.
What is your favorite type of meditation?